Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Happy Home Isn't Always a Clean Home!


My house (haus) is trashed.



There probably isn't a word for a messy house in the German language. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I get the feeling that the Germans just don't make messes. They sweep their sidewalks...DAILY!!!   When we moved in - my husband and I joked that all of our German neighbors were saying, "Americans just moved in - there goes the village".



This leaves me feeling like the lazy American neighbor that does not have the time to rake the insane amount of leaves that are taking up residence in the public alley/walkway next to our haus. The German Frau that lives on the other side of the alley actually sweeps only her side of the alley. Hilarious. She also tries to peddle her homemade candles and cards on me - that are quite pricey for the old lady set...but that is beside the point. There simply isn't enough time in the day for daily raking between the diaper changing, mountains of laundry, kid-friendly meals, Play Doh sessions, crafting, cleaning, etc.




Basically I am a hausfrau (housewife in German), stay-at-home-Mom (SAHM), Army wife, living in Germany, that has difficulty keeping it all together. I know, you think to yourself, (unless of course, you are also a SAHM)...how can a woman who stays home all day long not have any time? I often ask myself the same question. Some nights, I don't even get dinner on the table. I don't mean to complain. Really, I don't. I am a very happy woman, wife, mother. I guess, the big issue, the reason for this blog - is that I have never been unemployed until these gestational and child-rearing years, and that makes me a little uneasy. I like working. I miss working. Working gives women like myself a sense of purpose. The grass is always greener, I know.  I just need to remind myself that I cannot ever get these early years back with my children.  As hectic as it may feel at times, I love being home, watching them grow. They, along with my husband, are the best things that ever could have happened to my life. 

2 comments:

  1. As a SAHM, you have the BEST purpose of all...raising awesome children and making fun memories with them! What could possibly top that? I personally feel so extremely blessed to be able to stay at home with my children. I get to see and experience everything with them and don't have to hear about it from their babysitter/daycare staff. I get to see them rise in the morning, play with them and watch them throughout the day and tuck them into bed at night! Children are such a blessing and such a great gift from the Lord. Not everyone is able to have children or be able to stay at home and experience all their firsts and all the fun (and headaches LOL). Cherish every moment, even the bad ones! :) Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O man I swear we are exactly alike...lol I live offpost, In Bremthal, and we are very close with all of our neighbors. They all speak english so I was literally LOL when you wrote about how clean they are....you could white-glove our closest neighbors. I swear they must think we are slobs! They only seem to pop over when its a complete disaster...I tell them "I swear I clean" :) Everyday, we are the last ones out there to clean the snow up, Germans are big on cleaning up the snow...I know its a law....blah blah....but I swear if it was like American I would build a cover over just so i would not have to do it all the time...lol
    We have lived off post for almost 4 years now, then 4 years on post in Wiesbaden. Ive been here for awile :) Very homesick now though. I have another blog, http://richngermany.blogspot.com/ its more family life and such, I do write about our trips and crazy German things we see/do. I have seen more and more army/air force moms in germany pop up. I have become addicted to blogs :) And with the snow piling up Im sure Ill be posting more. Nice to read your blog, look forward to reading more about your adventures and well.....missadventures (loved the kitchen blow out) lol Been through the two kids under 3 thing, my girls are 18 months apart and I have a 4 y.o. boy....I feel ya :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete